- FORM: What is light like? Sources? Appearance? Features?
- FUNCTION: How does it work? How is it used?
- observed carefully to collect information
- used (scientific) vocabulary to explain our observations and experiences
- generated questions and ideas to be explored
- tested theories and predictions
- interpreted investigations and findings
During our morning in the dark, we read a book called The Dark by Lemony Snicket. Over the course of the week we read the book three times. First observing quietly, then sharing our ideas and observations (blue sticky notes in photos below), and finally expressing some questions (green sticky notes in photos below). We also had opportunities to retell the story with materials during our free playtime
We reflected on our experiences with dark and light by hearing our discoveries and activities repeated to us from Ms. Alison's documentation notes, as well as by looking at the videos and photos that she took. We made an enormous painting the size of our bodies to represent our Dark Day experiences.